Explore the canal network of Mekong Delta
Enjoy the senses of the bustling Cai Rang floating markets
Experience the culture and taste the typical foods with special cuisines.
Good for :
This tour is great for any individuals, couples as well as small groups who want to briefly explore Mekong Delta
Day 1: Saigon – Cai Be – Sa Dec – Can Tho ( L, D )
- At 8h00 in the morning, Far East Tour’s driver picks you up at your hotel in Ho Chi Minh City and transfer you to Cai Be.
- At 10 AM, get welcome onboard.
- After your installation, the cruise will begin with the visit of some local home factories where you will be able to observe how rice paste, coconut candies and other specialties are traditionally made. We will then proceed to Cai Be colorful floating market, cruising among local barges full of fruits and vegetables. Your sampan will take direction of Vinh Long and Sa Dec, cruising upstream on the Tien Giang River, one of the two large arms of the Mekong. These evergreen islands among the Mekong River bring about large networks of meandering rivers, criss-crossed with countless arroyos, and remain unknown to many people.
- We will then cruise on a small beautiful canal through water jacinth plantations… You will disembark to take a small rowing boat for a cruise along a narrow canal passing by a local tiny village and fruit plantations.
- Further on the banks, some dark smokes in the sky will lead us to one of the largest artisanal bricks and tiles factory where you will have an interesting visit.
- Sa Dec town will appear like a little “Venice” with numerous narrow canals. You will disembark at the local market place for a guided visit of this charming town, walking along its narrow streets where beautiful French old houses and Chinese temples dating from the last century are numerous.
- Your lunch will await you at an ancient house dating from 1890, home of Mr. Huyen Thuy Le, the “Lover” of Marguerite Duras famous writer. (novel and movie “The Lover”)
- Back on board your sampan, you will enjoy cruising down to Can Tho along a beautiful narrow canal, passing under several wooden “monkey bridges” and by tiny typical villages.
- Some stops on the banks will be possible to establish contacts with the local population. A visit will be done at a Cao Daist temple.
- Before sunset, we will have our last stop on the banks arranged at a splendid ancient house or “Nha Co” dating from the early 19th century. After being greeted by the owners, we will cater a candlelight dinner for you, an unforgettable experience in a unique atmosphere.
- After dinner, we will proceed the cruise for approximately one hour until Can Tho. We will moor for the night in a quiet place.
- Your bed will be ready for your night on the Mekong river
Day 2: Cai Rang – Can Tho – Saigon (B)
- At around 6 A.M., your sampan will slowly start cruising.
- Your breakfast will be served on board at 07am while approaching Cai Rang floating market actually still the largest in the whole Mekong delta.
- We will pass by countless sampan boats carrying sand, rice, fruits, vegetables, fish, flowers… showing an intense activity on the river.
- Your cruise journey will end at around 10.am at Ninh Kieu pier after a visit at Can Tho local market. Drive to Saigon. Drop at your hotel. At around 11am, you will disembark at Chau Doc main city pier. Drive back to Saigon.. Tour ends. Far East Tour awaits to serve you next time.